Medicinal Chemistry Co-op - Summer 2023 - Spring 2024
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer.
Join us and make a difference.
Bristol Myers Squibb is a premier biopharmaceutical company committed to improving the lives of patients worldwide. Our core mission is to “to be the world’s leading biopharma company that transforms patients’ lives through science.” We have an exciting opening at our facility in Redwood City starting in summer 2023 (full-time) through the spring of 2024 for a co-op student at a local university to perform laboratory work in drug discovery. This position will be in the department of Medicinal Chemistry in Redwood City and is focused on the synthesis and characterization of small molecules including the development of organic reactions to enable advancement of ongoing medicinal chemistry projects.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develop and optimize reaction parameters and design experiments to understand the scope of tolerability of new chemical transformations.
- Literature evaluation of proposed reaction routes.
- Isolation, purification, and characterization of newly synthesized compounds.
- Participate and contribute during scientific discussions, meetings and presentations.
- Record experiments, results and characterization data in laboratory notebooks in sufficient detail and in a timely fashion.
- Two years of chemistry (organic chemistry I/II required) course work at the college level, a strong academic record (≥ 3.5 GPA) and at least three semesters of laboratory course work and/or research.
- Self-motivated to learn and contribute, demonstrated examples of independent productivity and team-based interpersonal skills.
- Ability to recognize and report problems and solicit direction from supervisor.
- Desire and ability to take initiative to solve problems independently.
- Enthusiasm for science, laboratory work and drug discovery.
Bristol Myers Squibb
700 Bay Road
Redwood City, CA 94063
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is an essential job function of this role which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and enhances the Company culture.
To protect the safety of our workforce, customers, patients and communities, the policy of the Company requires all employees and workers in the U.S. and Puerto Rico to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an exception based on an approved request for a medical or religious reasonable accommodation. Therefore, all BMS applicants seeking a role located in the U.S. and Puerto Rico must confirm that they have already received or are willing to receive the full COVID-19 vaccination by their start date as a qualification of the role and condition of employment. This requirement is subject to state and local law restrictions and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions such as Montana. This requirement is also subject to discussions with collective bargaining representatives in the U.S.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles.
Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application or if you are applying to a role based in the U.S. or Puerto Rico and you believe that you are unable to receive a COVID-19 vaccine due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, during or any part of the recruitment process, please direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.