Excellos Co-Op Program Manufacturing Research Associate I
This position is part of the UC San Diego Division of Biological Sciences Co-Op Program. Visit here for more information. Students must take a professional development boot camp taught by UC San Diego faculty and staff prior to starting their Co-Op position in summer. If you have questions, contact the Co-Op Program staff advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Department: Manufacturing and Research Services
Reports to: Associate Director, Manufacturing and Research Services
Risk of Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens: 1 Yes
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The Manufacturing Research Associate I is responsible for completing and assisting with daily tasks associated with the production of various cellular and biological products according to established procedures. The Associate will be responsible for participating in the maintenance of critical supplies, equipment, product testing, product storage and product distribution. The Associate will participate in departmental meetings and educational programs as well as support the Excellos safety, GMP and Quality Plan.
• Perform procedures required to isolate, cryopreserve, and thaw cell products.
• Perform calculations to determine cell viability, dilutions, and cell concentrations.
• Manufacture of various biological product lines provided to external customers.
• Assist in managing inventory and preparing cellular products and relevant documentation for shipment to customer.
• Coordinate receiving of specimens from supplier.
• Perform procedures and maintain accurate documentation in compliance with Excellos quality plan and Good Manufacturing Practices.
• Assist with the routine maintenance of lab equipment and environment.
• Maintain supply inventory levels, re-orders laboratory reagents and supplies as needed.
• Adhere to production schedules to ensure on-time production logistics and fulfillment of client requests.
• May assist with maintaining document equipment records and revision of laboratory procedures.
• Supports and participates in research and investigational studies.
• Provides feedback and support in department development/process improvement.
• Normal laboratory environment with biohazard precautions.
• May be exposed to blood or bodily fluids that may be capable of transmitting diseases.
• May be exposed to hazardous chemicals.
• Must be able to stand long hours.
• Must be able to sit for long hours, potentially while working in a biosafety cabinet.
• Must be able to communicate clearly.
• May be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
• Laboratory equipment (examples include but are not limited to: centrifuges, heat sealer, sterile docking device, refrigerators/freezers, sterile hood, cell counter, cell isolation and analysis systems, FACs analyzer).
• Normal office equipment such as: telephone, computer, cell phone, printer, copier, fax, scanner.
o Undergraduate in Biology, Cell Biology, or life science related field.
o None required
o Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team and to communicate effectively within an interdisciplinary environment.
o Ability to work, learn, adapt, and execute in a fast-paced commercial environment.
o Strong laboratory and mathematical skills.
o Understanding of aseptic technique.
o Ability to organize information for multiple, concurrent projects.
o Critical thinking, creativity and innovative thinking.
o Detail oriented with the ability to set priorities and organize daily work requirements.
o Must be able to work both as a team member and independently, as required.
o Proficient in professional communication both written and oral, which is clear and precise.
o Must keep Management informed on any technical and/or operational issues that arise.
o Integrity and discretion – ability to maintain confidentiality.
o Ability to perform under pressure and work under stressful situations.
o None required
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.