Scientist I (Co-Op Program) - Antibody Manufacturing
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of more than $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Location/Division Specific Information
US-Carlsbad, CA/Biosciences Division – BID Operations
How will you make an impact?
As a member of the Value Stream Manufacturing Department, the Scientist I (Co-Op) will be an integral member of the team responsible for the in-process and finished good testing of pre-cast gels, cell culture, and purification products. Scientist I will also collaborate with the Informatics team on data analysis and improvement projects for the manufacturing controlled documents.
What will you do?
As Manufacturing Scientist I (Co-Op), this individual will assure that work is performed in accordance with production schedules, perform hands-on manufacturing tasks and work in a fast-paced manufacturing environment, conduct multiple production runs at one time, and be well organized. Specific responsibilities include:
• Learn and comply with policies and procedures set forth by departmental standard of procedures and work instructions.
• Prepare and initiate all procedures and documents under supervision
• Carry out and optimize appropriate methods for protein assay and cell culture QC checks, protein purification and gel electrophoresis
• Follow all departmental guidelines and procedures
• Input data and observations into databases accurately and efficiently
• Revise documents (SOPs, batch records) as necessary
• Initiate problem reports related to production issues
• Maintain lab supply inventory and re-order as needed
• Perform inventory transactions as necessary
How will you get here?
Undergraduate in Biology, Cell Biology, or life science related field,
No industry experience required.
The preferred candidate will ideally have experience in a variety of areas to support the business objectives:
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite products with emphasis on Excel, Outlook and Word
• Strong laboratory & mathematical skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Team player (demonstrated experience working in support of a successful project team)
• Good interpersonal skills
• Works well in a metrics-focused environment
• Well organized and detail oriented.
• Strong interpersonal skills
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms. Occasional use of a step-stool is required to reach for objects. Close vision is required. While performing duties of this position, employee will occasionally work with fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. Required to occasionally lift up to 50 lbs. The noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status.